Wilkinson House

In 1884 landowner Lewis Wilkinson constructed a new Rural Gothic style dwelling house on the lot adjacent to his bran warehouse at Seeds Bridge Station. An earlier spur line was removed and the railroad right of way passed in front of the new residence. The house was of a simple cross gable design and had a simple 3 bay front porch adorned with turned posts and ornamental brackets. The body of the house featured characteristic wooden quoins on the corners, wooden German siding, and hinged wooden shutters mounted on 2 over 2 divided light sash windows.The casings and were simple flat boards with a simple head detail, similar in style to the adjacent bran warehouse.



In 1915 the property was purchased by W. J. Pratt of Pocopson who ran the coal business at that location. Mr. Pratt had been affiliated with the Wawaset Station since 1885 when he became the first Postmaster. The Pratt family retained ownership of the property for following 5 decades.

The house was put on the National Register of Historic places in 1985 as part of the Northbrook Historic District.



In the early 1990's the Wilkinson House was partially destroyed by a fire that burned the roof and part of the second floor. The home was reconstructed in the character of the original but the Rural Gothic details such as cross gable, wooden quoins, porch post brackets, and wooden shutters were not reconstructed.