Historic Homes

Allen House

Isaac Allen and his wife Lydia sold two tracts of land to James Allen in 1765, one containing 326 acres in Newlin Township and an adjoining 38 acre tract in East Marlborough (today Pocopson.) James Allen was a Quaker farmer who was originally from West Nottingham where he married his wife Jane Brown. He removed with his family to East Marlborough and joined the Kennett Meeting in 1761. His main residence was located on the 38 acre tract in East Marlborough which lies along the road to the Great Valley (present day Red Lion Road).

Darlington homestead -former location of Lindencrest School

Jennie Darlington used an upstairs room in her home to run a private school for children of local farm families. The school room was located upstairs on the right end of the building pictured here. The children would leave their coats in the room in the lower level and access the school room through a winder staircase.








Pocopson Railroad Station


The "Shingle Style" structure that most people recognize as Pocopson Station is the second structure constructed for that purpose.

Haines Mill



Abner Haines had a grist and sawmill on Haines Mill Road; In 1884, the Mill burned down, apparently because Mr. Henry Haines built a wood fire in the office stove to ward off the chill.  The chimney caught fire and the property was destroyed.


Barnard House

The Barnard House is an early 1800's stone dwelling and was a stop on the Underground Railroad.